Seeking a Choir Manager
CHOIR MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Choir Manager (CM) position is focused on business operations and administrative support for ANNA Crusis Women’s Choir (ANNA). The CM also supports revenue and audience development. The CM reports to the Board of Directors, with a Board member designated as primary point of contact. The CM works closely with and takes work direction from the Artistic Director (AD).
ANNA is a feminist community choir that believes music is a force for social change. We focus our vision on women’s issues as well as those that impact the disenfranchised. Our community is diverse in age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression and culture. We create space for conversation and opinion and work together to create an environment in which all voices are heard. We create an open and welcoming space for people who love lifting their voices in song and who share the belief that music is the currency of hope. ANNA's repertoire is wide and varied. The combination of quality content and high musical and artistic standards makes singing in ANNA a rich experience for singers and a rewarding one for audiences.
A child of the 1970s grassroots feminist movement, ANNA was founded in 1975 by Dr. Catherine Roma. The choir’s early years were dedicated to promoting women’s music and giving gay and straight women together a strong community where they could find their voice and live their feminist principles. Cathy led the choir for the next 7 years and her influence was profound. Her passion for the music, commitment to the peace and social justice movement and her drive to unearth unknown works by women composers became the model for women’s choirs all across the country.
ANNA’s vision and voice continued to mature and expand under the leadership of subsequent artistic directors, whose unique strengths and styles shaped the growing choir. In 1983, Cathy passed musical directorship to Jane Hulting, who nurtured ANNA for the next 20 years, leading with untiring energy, musical talent and professionalism. From 2003 to 2011, ANNA was led by Jackie Coren, who continued the tradition of weaving musical excellence with social concern. In 2012, Miriam Davidson, an early member of ANNA, became the choir’s fourth artistic director. Under her directorship ANNA’s membership has grown to over 80 singers, a record in the
choir’s history and a testament to both Miriam’s vision and leadership and to the enduring appeal of this vocal community.
ANNA is a charter member of the Gay and Lesbian Association of Choruses (GALA), which is the world's leading association committed to serving the LGBTQ choral movement and comprises
over 190 choruses and more than 10,000 singers (www.galachoruses.org). ANNA is also a member of Sister Singers Network, a cooperative web of feminist choruses and ensembles,
composers, arrangers and individual singers working together to support and enrich the women's choral movement (www.sistersingers.net).
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
A. PUBLIC RELATIONS & MARKETING
1. Oversee mailing of promotional materials and follow-up phone calls.
2. Oversee concert program advertising development:
◦ Solicit ads from “tie-in” sponsors/organizations
◦ Solicit special tributes/dedications for programs
◦ Develop tie-in perks for large donors to list in program (e.g. special reception after a performance; “special edition” program signed by guest artist or commissioning composer.)
3. Maintain/update Facebook postings, Twitter, etc. (Updating the ANNA website to come
later; no programming skills required.)
4. Develop “tie-in” promotions for group tickets to specific audiences (e.g. support groups
for breast cancer survivors for The Breast Cancer Oratorio; faculty at local colleges that
have women’s studies, music history, ethnic music studies or related courses.)
5. Follow up on program surveys (e.g. individuals who are interested in buying ads or hiring
ANNA for a gig)
B. CONCERT PRODUCTION
1. Ticket Sales and Marketplace
◦ Schedule concert volunteers for:
- Day-of ticket sales; manage ticket sales process
- Usher patrons, hand out programs, etc.
- Marketplace sales
- Equipment load-in, load-out, stage set-up and take-down
◦ Maintain and manage the Marketplace, including inventory, set-up and take down at performances, ordering new product.
◦ Identify opportunities for group sales (e.g. churches, special interest groups, employers, etc.).
2. General House Manager for dress/tech rehearsals, concerts and run-outs
◦ Liaison/point person for venue while on-site (venue event scheduler, sexton or assigned maintenance staff), photographer, childcare providers, similar vendors/service providers
◦ Organize/assign volunteers for various duties before, during and after concerts
◦ Ensure/provide exemplary customer service so that ANNA’s patrons are well cared for and comfortable
◦ Collect and secure monies; hand off to bookkeeper post concert
3. Volunteer Management
◦ Working with current volunteer coordinator, complete a Volunteer Management Development plan.
◦ Lead the implementation of said development plan.
4. Work with AD to ensure business administrative/record-keeping requirements are met:
◦ Venue: contracts, insurance, etc.
◦ Guest artists: contracts, travel, stipends, etc.
◦ Run-outs: e.g. logistics, details, etc.
- Responsible for the overall operation of the “office”:
1. Pick up mail at ANNA PO box and Friend’s Center & distribute/respond as necessary
2. Oversee general office duties (e.g. record keeping, copying, mailings, etc.).
3. Light bookkeeping by mid-late 2018.
4. Attend all Board Meetings; frequently attend Mon. rehearsal
5. Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Previous non-profit arts management experience desired (e.g. project or program management)
Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Ability to delegate effectively.
Prior experience managing volunteers a plus.
Computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, ACCESS and QuickBooks, FaceBook, Twitter
Experience performing general office duties such as record keeping, copying, responding to email, performing mailings, etc.
Experience with donor databases and web management tools a plus, but not required.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Good people skills: engaging, can be authoritative when necessary
Follow through; stay on top of numerous pending items simultaneously and bring things to closure.
Must provide own office space, computer and internet.
AUTHORITY AND LIMITS
1. CM has authority to spend up to and including 70% of any budget line item for which he/she has responsibility. Beyond 70%, prior approval must be obtained from the Board of Directors.
2. CM may not act as spokesperson for or represent the ANNA to the press or media. (Note: this restriction is likely to be changed as the individual gains knowledge of and experience with the choir.)
3. CM does not have the authority to enter into any contract on behalf of ANNA
Hours: Part- time; flexible hours with some hours worked during normal business hours.
Evening and weekend work required, especially during concerts and rehearsals.
Compensation $18-22,000 range. This is a contracted position with no additional benefits.
To apply please send us your resume with a cover letter – why you’re interested in the position & what special skills you’d bring to the job.
email – email@example.com
mail – ANNA Choir Manager Search, P.O. Box 42277, Philadelphia, PA 19101.